How to play WMV file in Ubuntu 10.04
I’ve watched Nobita and the Legend of the Green Giant (Eiga Doraemon Nobita to Midori no Kyojinden, 映画 ドラえもん のび太と緑の巨人伝 Eiga Doraemon Nobita To Midori No Kyojinden) and I like the ending song. In my opinion the singer voice is nice and the ending animation is good, it’s so touching my heart. Therefore I like to edit it using Windows Live Movie Maker 2011.
After long waiting the output file is out and the extension is WMV. I’m exitid ‘couse the video sounds good. My laptop is dual-boot, so I use Linux (Ubuntu 10.04) as secondary and Windows 7 as primary. In windows, the video can play well but in linux just video come out but, there is no sound.
I search from Google to make it play in smplayer and finally I get this trick:
1. Download the newest ‘all-codecs-pack’ from mplayer hq, the newest codec pack is all-20110131.tar.bz2 from here: http://www.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/codecs/
2. Extract files from source code to a directory.
tar -xvf all-********.tar.bz2 (replace ‘*’ accordingly from source filename )
This will extract files inside source code into a directory ‘all-********/’ in the current location.
3. Copy/move all the extracted files to /usr/local/lib/codecs/ (If there is no such directory, create it)
cp all-********/* /usr/local/lib/codecs/
4. Make sure the files have the required permissions
chmod 755 /usr/local/lib/codecs/*
5. Some players look in a the directory /usr/lib/win32/ for codecs. So if you don’t have that directory create it and copy the files there as well.
cp /usr/local/lib/codecs/* /usr/lib/win32/
6. Now your media file should work fine in mplayer or smplayer.